Thursday, July 21, 2011

Review: Touch of Frost

TOUCH OF FROST
(Mythos Academy #1)

Jennifer Estep
Paranormal Young Adult
336 pages
Kensington Publishing Corporation
Available July 26th
Received from author for review

THE STORY
Gwen Frost is unfortunately stuck at a school where everyone seems to belong but her. She's the lone Gypsy with a gift for psychometry, the ability to touch an object and know its history, among Spartans, Valkyries and other students with enviable strength and skill.

While Gwen has no idea why one of the professors showed up at her door one day asking her to attend Mythos Academy, she's quickly distracted from her outsider status by the brutal murder of one the school's most popular young girls and the theft of one of the thirteen artifacts vital to those who wish to instigate a second Chaos War.

No one else seems to care that Jasmine has died, but Gwen can't seem to let her death go. With the somewhat reluctant help of Spartan bad boy Logan Quinn, Gwen attempts to solve Jasmine's murder and the bowl's theft, and in doing so discovers the truth about her family, her reason for being at Mythos, and her role in the impending war.

MY THOUGHTS
Touch of Frost is Ms. Estep's foray into the young adult fiction world, and much as she does with her Elemental Assassin series, she provides us with complex and layered characters against a believable supernatural backdrop. One of the shining strengths of her books, in addition to her vibrant characters, is their episodic quality. A large paranormal problem is outlined, and then within that larger arc a smaller piece of the puzzle is integrated–given to us to solve in it's entirety by the conclusion of the book so we are left with a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction at having completed the first leg of Gwen's journey while still knowing there's so much more waiting for us. We are never drowned in preparatory details and explanations but rather are provided just enough information to grab our attention and hold it completely, and as we go along new strands of information are added to blend with our previous knowledge effortlessly.

Gwen is a fun and quirky young woman, feeling very much out of place at a school full of people with extraordinary gifts and skills sets, but dealing with the strangeness of her situation with as much humor as she can muster. She does have a tendency to dwell on her sense of not belonging in those moments when the humor fades away, seeming content to stay isolated while ruminating on all the reasons she feels so alone as opposed to taking measures to remedy her situation. That being said however, part of her appeal is that she is clearly a work in progress, complete with understandable doubts, insecurities, and all the little nagging internal voices that have a tendency to point out our flaws when we least need the reminder. As the story moves forward, we do get to see Gwen start to mature and make an attempt to adjust to her new life, and it becomes apparent to us she will continue to do so with each installment until we inevitably reach the end and can say to ourselves "look how far she's come".

Gorgeous and arrogant, Logan Quinn initially seems as though he will be pretty straightforward and stereotypical–the smoldering, womanizing heartthrob who we can appreciate superficially but ultimately won't affect us on a deeper level. Ms. Estep's characters are never predictable however, and just when we think this is going to be a story where the athletic, popular guy falls for the antisocial misfit, the bottom of the character box we've labeled and placed him in drops out, and we are given fleeting glimpses of a depth we can't help but want to more thoroughly explore. She also has the uncanny ability to write male characters who both attract and repel us simultaneously and who are charming one minute and infuriating the next, forcing us to be ever vigilant and wary even while we're still undeniably intrigued by them. We want to let down our guard with Logan, but we also fear the emotional pain he is clearly capable of inflicting the moment we do, and so we sit on the edge of our seats with our feelings in chaos as we try to decipher a young man whose thoughts and actions are beyond our comprehension.

Overall, Touch of Frost is a strong first installment despite Gwen's initial melancholy, and the events for book two are nicely set up without leaving us frustrated over a lack of resolution. The mystery element is well-executed, with clues skillfully placed to keep us suspicious of everyone involved. Ms. Estep is an auto-buy author for me, and I am eagerly anticipating book two so I can laugh with, and root for, Gwen as she begins to find a place among the myths and legends.

Rating: 4/5

42 comments:

  1. I think Kelli and I might enjoy this one! I love reading your thoughts bc I usually feel the same way :) Have you reviewed Forever yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...would you say this is different than any other paranormal? While psychometry is totally new to me, the synopsis and even Gwen's personality seems very been-there, done-that. But it must have been a fun read if it merited 4/5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, yes, I like that Gwen is a work in progress. I love seeing characters grow, and already Gwen has made steps. Urgh, excellent description of Logan! That boy, I'm just not sure what to make of him yet, but I think I like him :) So happy you liked this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad there's resolution for the story while still leaving the plot open for future books. This definitely sounds like a fun read overall and I'll probably check it out from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I've been going back and forth on whether or not I want to read this book. I haven't been a fan of many paranormal school type books but this sounds excellant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I want this book! It sounds like a great read. And I need to try her adult series as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you - this one has put Ms. Estep into the 'must buy' category for me. So glad she's branched out into YA novels. I enjoyed Gwen quite a lot, and you pointed out some very insightful things about Mr. Quinn. Let's hope the next installments are just as entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love how you describe the way this one is crafted, how the mystery is put together piece by piece. I love that!

    Also, I feel like I could find a real camaraderie with Gwen (you know, if she was a real person obviously, heh). She seems really likeable to me. So yeah, perhaps she has some angsty moments, but don't most teens? I feel like I could probably forgive her for that just like it sounds like you did.

    Amazing review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds cool :D Mystery, ancient warrior casts, now what is there not to like about that? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gwen seems like a very believable character, and I am glad to know that her character seems to develop throughout. Logan Quinn seems like a stereotypical YA hero - something which I am bored of. But I am glad to know that the story is not predictable. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Natalie - I hope you try it, I pretty much love all her books:) I haven't read Forever yet because I haven't read Linger, I'm a bit behind on that series:)

    Alison - I would say this one doesn't break the paranormal mold, but for me it's all about how the authors shape the individual chess pieces on the board and not so much about the familiar moves made with those pieces. It's a fun, enjoyable read:)

    Smalls - Yes, Logan is difficult to label at the moment, I love that about him. I want to like him, I think I do, but he has some work to do after that stunt at the end:)

    Ashley - I was so excited we got a real conclusion, I tire of the cliffhangers even though they always have the desired effect and make me desperate for the next book:)

    Monica - I have a thing for the boarding school stories, so this was perfect for me. And I just like how Jennifer writes her characters:)

    Nic - Yes, please try her Elemental Assassin series, I love those books! Gin is a force of nature:)

    Cecilia - Me too! I'm really excited for Kiss of Frost:)

    Aylee - Exactly, Gwen has a few issues, but then again we all do so it just made her real. Just as the moping started to be too much she began to snap out of it, so it was easy to get on board with her.

    Blodeuedd - I hope we get more about the Spartans and the Valkyries in the next installments, there's so much potential there:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this new series and can't wait for book 2.
    Estep does a fab job of crossing over into YA without losing her trademark humor and ability to craft a suspenseful action packed story line.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Misha - Logan seems stereotypical at first, but there's definitely more there and I can't wait for him to step out of that superficial shadow and show us what we've been missing:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tori - I completely agree! LOVE her books:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have such a way with words Jenny! I've just added this to my ever growing TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is totally on my list to read for my next venture into YA. I love Jennifer's writing so I think she will be like Richelle Mead for me. I can follow her into any genre!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your review just makes me want to read it... I have been looking out for this book since quite some time. The premise sounds awesome but I was not sure, but... when my friend Jenny recommends it , I know I will love it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds really good. I've been meaning to start her adult series. Got my Mom (and Dad!) started on it but haven't read it myself. Gotta get on it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic review, Jenny. I am not familiar with this author, but your glowing review has convinced me to check this series out. I could always use a new paranormal series, especially if the author is an "auto-buy" for you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Susan - Thank you so much! I really love Jennifer's books, she's one of those authors that can do no wrong for me:)

    Felicia - Exactly! I just know I'm going to have fun reading her books, no matter the genre:)

    Danny - It of course has its flaws, but I think she writes such wonderful characters, and I couldn't put this one down:)

    Mollie - DO IT! I think you'll like Gin and Finn and everyone else. And Owen. *swoon*

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds really good. I have heard many things about it but I loved your review on it. I am def adding it to my to read list. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ok Ive heard great things about this author too...:) Im going to try this one Jenny..:) I mean geez the romance alone sounds like its worth the read...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Touch of Frost wasn't quite my cup of tea, but I'm glad you enjoyed it! I agree about the characters--I did end up going back and forth on whether I liked them or not! Jennifer is great at messing with our heads. :p

    ReplyDelete
  24. Now I'm really dying to read this. Especially to get to know the male characters. Attract and repel? That sounds fun - love the confict!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Male characters who charming one minute then infuriating the next is what I live for. Seriously. I love the torture. Sounds like Ms. Estep really nails that with Logan. Can't wait to meet him.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Too many times with books they leave the reader hanging so its nice to know that this one has a resolution. I haven't read any of her adult titles but will most likely pick up this one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Super excited to read this book. I love stories that deal with school. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been hearing lots of good things about this one. I almost bypassed it until everyone started giving it glowing reviews. Now I'll have to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just got my hands on "Spider Bite" and look forward to reading it! I like how the characters of this book aren't limited to their stereotypes. It's refreshing to read about a character, who like all of us, are progress at work. And major plus pts for no cliffhanger endings!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Tina - I hope you do give Jennifer a try, I can't say enough good things about her Elemental Assassin series and then this YA one is off to a great start:)

    Lauren - She's very good at keeping us on edge with her characters, I thought I'd finally settled on a feeling toward Logan and then that ending - sucker punch to the gut.

    Alyssa - Yes, attract and repel. I wanted to both kiss Logan and kick him several times while reading. I loved it:)

    Missie - ME TOO! I'm looking forward to more Logan in Kiss of Frost.

    Jenny - I was so glad we got our smaller storyline wrapped up, it was refreshing:)

    Savy - I do too, I'm always a sucker for them:)

    Leanna - Hope you do! And we don't have to wait too much longer for Kiss of Frost which is nice:)

    Rummanah - YES! Hope you love Gin! Gin is definitely a work in progress too:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love her books too!! I am so excited for this book to come out and I'm so glad you enjoyed this one. Love the cover of Kiss of Frost. Oh I love your review. I'm just excited for this one to come out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Have her other series that I still haven't read, but I'm very intrigued by this series, too. Glad to know it's worth read. I also like that the protag has lots of maturity and growth in her future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've read several great reviews on this book and am seriously intrigued. Now, I realize that it isn't a break-out novel, following many of the pre-set paranormal patterns, but I do love a good paranormal with great characters (yay for charmingly infuriating guys)! And an ENDING despite it being a series--oh, how fabulous.
    Great review!
    Mary @ Book Swarm

    ReplyDelete
  34. I totally need this series!!! Gah! There is just NOT enough time!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I've been hearing about this author more and more. I will check this out after reading your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Gwen sounds like such an intriguing character. I love when you feel like you're growing with them. That's important to me because of the number of books I read these days haha great review, Jenny! I bow to your reviewing prowess :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. You know when you say auto buy I agree, since reading not only the entire series and all the short stories penned by Jennifer for her Elemental Assassin series as far as I am concerned whatever she writes next I want to read ASAP... So happy to say will get my wish as soon as my copy of A Touch of Frost recently won in a giveaway makes it to my mail box!

    Glad you enjoyed this foray into YA, when I read the prequel it was a great start to introduce us into the world she created and especially Gwen.

    ReplyDelete
  38. AHH I loved this one!!! I adore Logan! And I agree, her characters are never predictable which is so nice! Estep has been on auto-buy for me since her Bigtime series. She is a wonderful author. Thanks for the thoughtful review Jenny!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a well written review! I appreciate your insightfulness and I will definitely read this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I know how much you love Jennifer Estep so I'm looking forward to reading Touch of Frost myself. I just got it yesterday :) Gwen sounds relatable and Logan seems intriguing. Great review, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  41. When I first came across this book a few months back I was a bit concerned that it was going to be too much like some of the other boarding school paranormal books that were out at the time (Ie. Inara Scott's "The Candidates"), so I am really glad to see that it isn't! I can't wait to read this, hopefully it will be a good segue-way for myself into Jennifer's other books!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I do want to read this book because I like Jennifer Estep's work. It sounds really interesting. I'm glad you liked it too, it bodes well for me. Great review Jenny!

    Jen
    In the Closet With a Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete