Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Interview: Heather W. Petty + Lock & Mori


Today I'm thrilled to have author Heather W. Petty stopping by the blog to answer a few questions about Lock & Mori, the first book in a new series featuring a young Sherlock Holmes and his eventual sworn enemy, Miss James Moriarty. I love all things Sherlock Holmes, so I'm excited to see how the relationship between these two is built and then devolves as the series progresses. Welcome to Supernatural Snark Heather!

If you were to give Lock and Mori a guided tour of your favorite city that kept well away from tourist hotspots, what are the top three places you’d recommend never leaving the city without seeing?

Portland, OR is one of my favorite cities, for sure. I think I’d take them to

1) McMenamin’s Kennedy School, which is this old elementary school that got turned into a restaurant that has bars in the principal’s office and detention hall and a theater in the gym. It’s awesome.

2) Saturday Market, which is an open arts & crafts market downtown. I love walking the artisan stalls and looking at all the amazing art.

3) Cheating, but I’d also probably take them to the coast, because it’s gorgeous. There’s this one little dock area with an ice cream shop that hands out small cups of popcorn to feed to the gulls and ducks. And if you walk down a little farther, there are sea lions basking in the sun and little purple jellyfish bobbing around in the water, and even the fattest cat ever who obviously steals fishing boats.

Let’s say Lock somehow found his way from the pages of Lock & Mori and into a library in our world, specifically the section that houses all the Sherlock Holmes mysteries. Which of Sherlock’s adventures do you think Lock would be most intrigued by?

The Adventure of the Speckled Band, maybe? Trained snakes and instant karma.

Definitely The Adventure of the Musgrave Ritual. Because riddles AND a treasure hunt. How can you get cooler than that?

What are 3 books we might find on Mori’s shelf at the moment?

A brand new copy of THE LITTLE PRINCE that Sadie gave her and she never opened, Sketch of the Analytical Engine Invented by Charles Babbage, Esq. by Ada Lovelace, and her mother’s doodled on copy of Lady Windermere’s Fan by Oscar Wilde

If Lock and Mori were told at the beginning of this story that they were destined to become mortal enemies, what might each of their responses have been?

Mori would definitely believe it. Lock would probably say he doesn’t care about melodramatic labels like “enemy” or “nemesis.”

Thanks so much for answering my questions Heather!

LOCK & MORI


In modern-day London, two brilliant high school students, one Sherlock Holmes and a Miss James "Mori" Moriarty, meet. A murder will bring them together. The truth very well might drive them apart.

Before they were mortal enemies, they were much more.

FACT: Someone has been murdered in London's Regent's Park. The police have no leads.

FACT: Miss James "Mori"Moriarty and Sherlock "Lock" Holmes should be hitting the books on a school night. Instead, they are out crashing a crime scene.

FACT: Lock has challenged Mori to solve the case before he does. Challenge accepted.

FACT: Despite agreeing to Lock's one rule--they must share every clue with each other--Mori is keeping secrets.

OBSERVATION: Sometimes you can't trust the people closest to you with matters of the heart. And after this case, Mori may never trust Lock again.

Find Lock & Mori:


Find Heather:

17 comments:

  1. Is this a world where the Sherlock Holmes exist? I guess not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ask some of the best questions Jenny! I loved reading this, thanks so much for sharing it with us! I love the Homes vibe this had. :) I need to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic interview as always Jenny! Now I feel like visiting Portland and I'm even more intrigued about this book! I adore Sherlock Holmes retellings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO! I'm always fascinated by anything Sherlock Holmes-related:)

      Delete
  4. A young adult Holmes? Very cool. I love Sherlock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mori has excellent tastes in books it seems! I'm looking forward to meeting these two soon. :)
    Thanks for sharing, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous interview! That book sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to visit Portland one day! Mori and I should hang. She sounds like a kindred spirit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I haven't been to the Pacific Northwest:)

      Delete
  8. Wonderful interview, Jenny! I have my eye on this - I can't wait to find out why these two became mortal enemies and love the sound of its Sherlock Holmes vibe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like an interesting concept. I love all things Sherlock! I'm looking forward to seeing the new Mr. Holmes movie with Ian McKellen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh boy does this book sound so good! I have it and literally cannot wait to be reading because Sherlock stories are really some of my favourites. I like the ones the author chose out for Lock to enjoy! Of course, treasure hunts and riddles are the best :D

    ReplyDelete