Thursday, August 6, 2015

Review: All Wound Up

ALL WOUND UP
Play by Play #10
Jaci Burton
Adult Contemporary Romance
336 pages
Berkley
Available Now
Source: ARC from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
Tucker Cassidy is going through a slump—but not on the field. It’s his dating life that’s suffering. After having a painful altercation involving his ex-girlfriend’s knee, Tucker is convinced it couldn’t get worse…until a gorgeous doctor comes to the rescue at his most embarrassing moment.

As the daughter of the owner of the St. Louis Rivers, Dr. Aubry Ross has been around jocks all her life. She knows the ins and outs of all their games, and she isn’t interested in playing.

When Tucker repeatedly lands in the hospital where she’s working, Aubry starts to think he’s getting injured just to see her. Tucker is both funny and sexy, and Aubry is pleasantly surprised to discover he actually respects her job.

When her father disapproves of their relationship, Aubry knows she’d rather lose Tucker than have him lose his job. But Tucker isn’t about to let threats of a trade get in the way of a game-changing love…


MY THOUGHTS
All Wound Up is another hot sports romance from Ms. Burton, an easy read from beginning to end that leaves a contented smile on our faces as we look forward to the next couple. The Play by Play series is one that's blissfully low on angst and high on swoon, Tucker following in the super sexy footsteps of the athletes who came before him, delivering in the sexual prowess department in only the way a romance hero can and leaving us no choice but to add him to our list of book boyfriends when all is said and done.

Aubry and Tucker's romance is one that starts in familiar fashion, the two of them agreeing to a casual arrangement due to their equally busy schedules with absolutely no plans for it to go any further. What's so nice about the two of them though is they don't spend majority of the book in denial, refusing to acknowledge that their relationship has taken a more serious turn and frustrating us as they war with themselves over the complications of a love they never intended to have. Instead, Aubry and Tucker both accept the progression of their romance as it happens, enjoying their time together by alternately making one another laugh and setting their bedroom on fire.

The only minor drawback to this otherwise cute and light read is with Aubry's father, a man whose repetitious lectures regarding her inability to maintain both a medical career and a personal life grates on our nerves. Luckily though, his constant reminders that her mind should be fully occupied by medicine and nothing else irritates Aubry as well, and when he finally crosses the line she isn't shy about letting him know it. Overall, All Wound Up is everything that makes this series fun to indulge in, giving us a strong couple, blistering heat and a very sweet happily ever after.

Rating: 4/5


Find Jaci:
This book was  sent to me by the publisher free of charge for the purpose of a review
I received no other compensation and the above is my honest opinion.

28 comments:

  1. I STILL have book 1 unread on my shelf, sighs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished this last night and really liked it. The low angst and how easily their relationship progress stood out to me too. I even underlined it in my notes. lol. And no, I haven't read the 9 previous books yet. What has come over me?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book 2 is my favorite, you should read that one for sure. Though you meet them in the first one and some things happen that set up their issues in the second book, so I highly recommend both:)

      Delete
  3. Aubrey's dad sounds like apiece of work! I can already tell he would irritate me as well
    Wonderful review Jenny this sounds like a fun weekend escape read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He definitely was. I wanted to smack him repeatedly, but Aubry did too so it worked:)

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a fantastic way to spend an evening without angst or frustration! Great review Jenny! Next time I need a light (and steamy) read I'll know what to pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on a romance kick Pili! I've needed a break from YA and this series is always a win for me:)

      Delete
  5. Well, hello there, sexy cover! ;)
    "The Play by Play series is one that's blissfully low on angst and high on swoon"
    That's what I love to hear, Jenny! This romance sounds fantastic and I love that Aubrey wasn't afraid to stand up to her annoying father! I also love that there is unnecessary pushing away of each other when they realize they have feelings for each other. I'll add this series to my TBR, Jenny.
    Lovely review as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for low angst in romances Nick! It's one of my favorite things about this series, there's plenty of tension and a strong emotional connection, but no over the top drama comes into play.

      Delete
  6. I agree with Nick! *pats cover* I need to read this series because I need more book boyfriends and HEA in my life. The chemistry and sports combo sounds great. Thanks for the lovely review, Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen the other covers in this series Kim? *blushes* I APPROVE!

      Delete
  7. I've read a novel (maybe two?) by Burton and while I wasn't wow-ed by her stories, I'm not opposed to giving them another shot either. I love a smart, female protagonist and a hot jock (drooool at that cover!) so this is definitely up my alley. Great review, Jenny--thanks for putting this on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just a fun series for me Keertana. I know I'm going to get a strong couple and sexy times galore without a lot of drama:)

      Delete
  8. I really love the sound of this story, I so need to try this series...PRONTO!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not much angst but a whole lot of swoon? SIGN ME UP JENNY! I LOVE IT <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not much for sports romances but I don't know, maybe the sports stuff can be overlooked. Glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series isn't too heavy on the sports, so I would give it a try. They're all athletes and their games/practices are mentioned, but you're not weighed down by too much detail or terminology. The romance is the focus for sure:)

      Delete
  11. I'm not usually a sports kind of girl, so I don't now if I'd like a sports romance, but I need more NA in my lief so the struggle is real.

    I do love low angst!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely adult, very detailed sex scenes and the characters are a touch older than NA, but I highly recommend nonetheless. Even if you're not a sports person, the romances are a win:)

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. YES IT IS! The whole series is drool-worthy.

      Delete
  13. YAAS.
    I do enjoy me a romance that involves two mature character WHO KNOW when their relationship has progressed and face it head on instead of sticking their head in the sand!

    Also I am glad that Aubrey doesn't take shit from her dad and tells him when he has crossed a line!

    Lovely review, Jenny :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel like I'd want to smack Aubry's father upside the head. Perhaps with a baseball bat. (ooh, my violent side is emerging!) I do love Jaci Burton if for nothing more than THOSE COVERS. Always to die for. *fans self*

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was sent this but worried since it was well into the series. Will it work as a standalone Jenny?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh gosh. 10?! Am I that behind already?! Gah. I must catch up. Thanks for the reminder, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete