Monday, August 24, 2015

Review: Bounce

BOUNCE
Boomerang #3
Noelle August
Contemporary New Adult
304 pages
William Morrow
Available August 25th
Source: ARC from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Amazon)
When you have one chance to become a star, you can't let love get in the way . . .

Playing the occasional club gig just isn't cutting it for twenty-two-year-old cellist Skyler Canby, who's trying to support herself and her mother back home in Kentucky. When she accompanies her best friend Beth on an audition for the first feature film launched by Blackwood Entertainment, she figures, Why not? Beth's a shoe-in for the lead, but maybe Skyler's newly dyed pink hair will help her stand out enough to score a small speaking part.

Never in her wildest dreams does Skyler imagine she'll land the lead role or that she'll have her socks knocked off by the kiss her audition partner, Grey Blackwood, plants on her—a kiss that feels very real and not at all like acting.

Reckless musician Grey Blackwood spends his days fetching coffee and doing odd jobs on the set of his CEO brother's newest project, but he lives for nights when he performs with his band. He knows that if he can stay focused, success as a singer is just around the corner. But that's tough with a distracting pink-haired girl occupying his every waking thought. Skyler and Grey have every reason to resist each other. But, like a song neither of them can get out of their minds, they have no choice but to go where the music takes them.

MY THOUGHTS
Bounce continues in the same vein as Boomerang and Rebound before it, delivering a sweet, low-drama New Adult romance between to people with whom it's a joy to spend a few hours. Unlike the previous two books however, a faint love triangle comes into play as things between Grey and Skyler progress, and though it's not a major source of angst for any of the parties involved, Skyler spending time with another guy when it's obvious she and Grey are going to get together is still somewhat off-putting for those of us who like the path to love to be a straight line between two points rather than three.

Our relationship with Grey starts out a bit rocky as we're reunited with him when his older brother Adam comes home to find his beautiful home trashed thanks to a party thrown in his absence, but the writing team of Noelle August does a beautiful job of growing him up over the course of the book. Grey proves he's capable of learning from his mistakes with each chapter, putting forth a valiant effort to stand and meet his problems head-on rather than running away and licking his wounds, becoming a young man we want to see achieve whatever goal he sets for himself by the end. Skyler doesn't quite have the same maturity hurdles to overcome as Grey, but she does learn a few things about herself thanks to a business that's brutal on even those with the thickest of skins, taking some of Grey's newfound strength to prop herself up when her legs get knocked from underneath her.

The romance itself is perhaps the slowest burning of all three Boomerang books due in large part to the aforementioned triangle and Grey's younger age (he's nineteen), leading us on a merry dance of hesitation and flirtation until the very end when things finally heat up between them. Overall, Bounce is another hugely enjoyable tale from Noelle August, giving us plenty of depth and complexity in our lead pair (and a standout secondary character in Garrett Allen) to have us feeling as though we've learned a great deal about them by the time we reach the last page, and leaving us with a satisfied smile as we take comfort in the knowledge that good things lie in store for them both.

Rating: 4/5

Find Noelle August:


This book was sent to me by the publisher free of charge for the purpose of a review
I received no other compensation and the above is my honest opinion.

20 comments:

  1. I really need a good NA series at the mo and I've seen so many people enjoy it. Luckily I got a free copy on iTunes but have yet to read it. So glad this series is going strong for you. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be curious to see how the romance here but I haven't read any of the others so maybe I should try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're review twins today, Jenny and I agree with you on everything. I could have done without the triangle but it was clear where the story was headed anyways and I did think Grey needed to really mature before he became involved with Sky. I liked the romance a lot, especially when they got together at the end.
    Wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch, why must authors add love triangles?! Glad it didn't progress to much. I'm always needing a low angst YA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ack. Wary of the love triangle angle. Might have to skip this one if I do decide the check out the series.

    Lovely review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the first two books, I really should have picked this one up as well. Wonderful review Jenny and I'm glad this lived up to the others even if there was a bit or a dreaded triangle along the way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dreaded love triangle rears its ugly head again! Glad it was solved quickly though and yes, I would not be a happy camper if I found my placed trashed from a party when I went away. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The second I'm in the mood for a M/F romance, NA or otherwise, this will be at the very top of my list. You had me at low drama. While the love triangle bothers me, you say it's faint, and it's pretty clear who the lead couple is so it's obviously not that type of LT I despise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's weird because I've seen such polarizing views on this series. I want to try it, but so many friends have had such negative thoughts on it .... I am confused, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am finally back :) I read the first in this series last summer and I enjoyed it. I am not sure why I didn't get the follow ups. I read Nick's review for this one this morning as well, and it seems this one has a bit more drama and a triangle which disappoints me. still though, I think I will try it when I get caught up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm, love triangle, even the low angst ones are really not my cuppa!
    Glad to hear it didn't really take off your enjoyment of the book too much, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have Boomerang on my Kindle but haven't gotten to it. I'm interested in this series though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you enjoyed it! I loved the Grey and Skyler grew in their own ways before actually coming together. And we seriously need more Garrett and Grey time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everyone seems to love this series and the slow burning romance between Grey and Skyler sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wasn't a huge fan of Rebound so I didn't pick this one up but I'm re-thinking it now since a slower burning romance is the kind I love. Thanks for such an honest and helpful review, Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay, I see both you and Nick enjoyed this one!! I'm new to the series, but I like the sound of the slow-burn romance and Grey sounds like a he has some great growth. The triangle in the romance sounds like it was a bit distracting though. I'm glad it turned out well. Thanks for the lovely review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review, Jenny! I’ve only read the first book in this series and liked it. Maybe I’ll pick up the rest when I’m in the right mood, though faint love triangle bothers me.

    ReplyDelete