Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Review: The Long Game

THE LONG GAME
The Fixer #2
Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Young Adult/Political Thriller
368 Pages
Bloomsbury
Available Now
Source: ARC from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
Tess Kendrick, teen fixer extraordinaire, returns in a pulse-pounding thriller about a deadly conspiracy at the heart of Washington.

For Tess Kendrick, a junior at the elite Hardwicke School in Washington D.C., fixing runs in the family. But Tess has another legacy, too, one that involves power and the making of political dynasties. When Tess is asked to run a classmate's campaign for student council, she agrees. But when the candidates are children of politicians, even a high school election can involve life-shattering secrets.

Meanwhile, Tess's guardian has also taken on an impossible case, as a terrorist attack calls into doubt who can--and cannot--be trusted on Capitol Hill. Tess knows better than most that power is currency in D.C., but she's about to discover first-hand that power always comes with a price.


MY THOUGHTS
The Long Game is one of those reads that’s sheer entertainment, the political maneuvering and government conspiracies a bit over the top but in a fun, perfect-break-from-reality kind of way that has us flipping the pages as fast as possible to see which player on the board is going to make the next move.

Tess is easy-to-root for, a bit cocky at times thanks to her familial connections in the political arena, but she’s a Robin Hood whose currency just happens to be information, and it’s impossible not to smile when those who seek to exploit weakness get their just deserts. Though she has the same unfortunate habit of keeping certain secrets as her mother, on the whole she’s good about sharing information with those who are in the best position to help her, never running off to solve a problem on her own without first notifying someone of her plan. Her relationship with Ivy can be frustrating at times, their shared inability to give voice to the things that matter most a bit trying in this second installment, but the drama between them is never so extreme as to detract from our overall enjoyment.

As with the first book, there’s little to no romance in this second book, and while that might disappoint those readers like myself who live for a bit of swoon in whatever they read, Ms. Barnes ensures this story never feels as though it’s lacking. The life and death game-playing by political big wigs and terrorists alike keeps our attention throughout, and secondary characters like Asher with his absurdly endearing sense of humor plaster smiles on our faces in a number of very welcome moments of levity.

All in all, The Long Game is a strong follow-up to The Fixer, leaving us with an important revelation that has us looking forward to the next book without facing a brutal cliffhanger that tears the rug out from under us on the last page.

Rating: 4/5


Find Jennifer:


This book was sent to me by the publisher  free of charge for the purpose of a review
I received no other compensation and the above is my honest opinion.
 

18 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more Jenny. I would love for there to be a romance but not having one certainly doesn't take away from the story. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have book one but never got around to it (bad blogger), but I hear so many good things about it. I also heard that there are no plans for a book three. I hope it happens and if not I hope it still ends in a good place. *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might find the lack of romance in these books really refreshing. I'm usually like you, but I just finished And I Darken with its disturbing romantic entanglements and I might need to take a break. Otherwise, this sounds like a lot of fun and a perfect summer read. I'll have to start with the first one. I think I even own the audiobook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard nothing but praise for this series and this author. I've most definitely got to try these books out because they sound right up my alley with the entertainment factor, even though I am a little sad that they don't have a romance. I'm really glad this sequel was a hit for you, Jenny. I'll have to look into these for sure now. :)
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard anything about this series but it sounds entertaining. And although I like romance, it's also refreshing to read a book where there isn't any. I'll have to check the first book in this series out, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, little to no romance... this sounds like something I'd love to read for sure!! The spying and the political agenda... sounds like something to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes even if we don't have a romance it's ok (well I still understand you but it's easier sometimes). Why not

    ReplyDelete
  8. In this case, it sounds like there really is no need for swoon as the mystery, action, and pace keep you turning the pages, Jenny! Glad you enjoyed the sequel and yay for no cliffhanger :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A YA which is political and doesn't have romance . Sign me up.

    Thanks for the wonderful review Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read much of Barnes's recent work--I last read her Tattoo and Fate duo!--but I'm glad to hear this is a strong installment. I'll definitely be adding it to my TBR and hopefully getting to the first book sometime this summer since I don't mind the lack of a romance and love a good thriller. Wonderful review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one of those authors that I can't believe I haven't read yet! Great review you make me want to pick this series up now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm, I see I have book one on my wish list..seems I need to be picking these up stat:) Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the first book on my TBR list, and while I do struggle with books without romance, I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't remember reading the first book, to be honest. But I've enjoyed her YA mysteries in the past. This sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a fun series. I think it would be a good readalike to Ally Carter's Embassy Row series.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't hear a lot about this series. Mostly just you and Ali, I think. But I think it sounds really entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need to pick this series up. So many of my blogger friends have really enjoyed it.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete